|COLONEL JOHN J. NICHOLS|
Col. John Nichols is the commander, 14th Flying Training Wing, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss. The 14 FTW conducts Specialized Undergraduate Pilot training for U.S. Air Force and allied officers. The wing possesses 234 aircraft and flies 54,000 sorties and over 75,000 hours to train over 390 pilots and combat system operators annually. He is responsible for base support and medical care for the wing's almost 3,000 military, civilian and contract Airmen, an operations and maintenance budget of $106 million and capital assets exceeding $1.3 billion. The wing additionally supports seven associated units and provides contingency mission support for the Air Education and Training Command.
Colonel Nichols graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in May 1992. Following graduation, he entered intelligence training at Goodfellow AFB, Texas and was assigned to 17th Air Force, Sembach Air Base, Germany.
In June 1996, Colonel Nichols was assigned to the 523rd Fighter Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M., as the Chief of Intelligence. He was selected to attend the USAF Weapons School and was subsequently assigned to Ellsworth AFB, S.D. As the 28th Bomb Wing Intelligence Weapons Officer, Colonel Nichols supported B-1 combat missions during Operation Allied Force. Colonel Nichols was then selected for Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training at Vance AFB, Oklahoma. Following pilot training, he attended B-1 initial qualification training at the 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas, with a subsequent assignment to the 9th Bomb Squadron.
In June 2005, Colonel Nichols attended Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., where he earned a Master of Science Degree in Military Operational Arts and Science. Following graduation, he was selected to return to flying at the 37th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D. where he served as the squadron's Director of Operations supporting Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. In June 2008, Colonel Nichols was selected to command the 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas. Following squadron command, he attended the National War College at Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C. where he earned a Master's degree in Strategic Studies. Colonel Nichols was next assigned to Ellsworth AFB as commander of the 28th Operations Group.
In May 2013, Colonel Nichols served as Chief of the Combat Plans Division, 609th Air Operations Center, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar in support of AFCENT and CENTCOM's combat operations and contingency planning.
Colonel Nichols is a senior pilot with more than 2,050 flight hours in the B-1 and MQ-9, including 662 combat hours.
1992 Bachelor of Science Degree in Political Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado
1997 USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Master of Arts degree in Military Science, American Military University, Manassas, Va.
2006 Master of Arts in Military Arts and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Masters in National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
2012 Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
1. August 1992 - May 1993, Student Intelligence Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2. May 1993 - May 1996, Chief Operational Intelligence, 17th Air Force, Sembach AB, Germany
3. June 1996 - December 1997, Chief Intelligence, 523rd Fighter Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
4. December 1997 - July 1999, Chief Intel Weapons and Tactics, 28th Operational Support Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
5. August 1999 - August 2000, Student Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
6. November 2000 - July 2001, B-1 Student, 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
7. August 2001 - August 2005, B-1 Pilot, Aircraft Commander, and Instructor Pilot, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
8. August 2005 - June 2006, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2006 - June 2008, Assistant Director of Operations and Director of Operations, 37th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
10. June 2008 - June 2010, Commander, 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
11. July 2010 - June 2011, Student National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2011 - May 2013, Commander 28th Operations Group, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
13. May 2013 - June 2014, Chief, Combat Plans Division, 609 Air Operations Center, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
14. July 2014 - Present, Commander, 14th Flying Training Wing, Columbus AFB, Miss
Rating: Senior Pilot
Flight hours: 2050 (662 combat hours)
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, B-1, and MQ-9
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and four oak leaf clusters
DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major December 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2006
Colonel September 1, 2011
(Current as of July 2014)